What is Vivitrol?
Vivitrol is the brand name for the time released, injectable form of generic naltrexone. A monthly, non-addictive opiate antagonist drug, used in some treatment programs for those addicted to opioids. Vivitrol curbs the cravings that make a sustainable recovery such a challenging journey.
How Does Vivitrol Work?
The drug works by occupying the receptors in the brain that would usually be affected by the opioid use. Furthermore, because of its blocking effects, it can make opiate drugs much less desirable, which can help avoid a relapse.
Opioid antagonists such as Vivitrol and oral Naltrexone can be a great addition to a successful opioid treatment. We have been providing our patients with these forms of drugs, for nearly 20 years, in conjunction with the Waismann Method. It is essential to understand that before taking these medications patients need to be fully opioid-free.
What to Know Before Taking Vivitrol?
It is imperative that Vivitrol only be used with those who have already gone through detox and are fully opioid-free. The drug should not be used by anyone who has taken any opioids of any kind within the previous 7 to 10 days. Please consider discussing with your healthcare provider specific options based on your medical and dependence history.
This medication should be used only as recommended and under direct medical supervision. The benefits of Vivitrol often outweigh the risks. However, if used by those who are not ready to be opiate free, it can be dangerous or even life-threatening.
Rapid Detox and Vivitrol
As part of the Waismann Method rapid detox treatment, before patients are given the injectable Vivitrol, a short period of oral naltrexone is recommended. This preventative measure allows for patients to be closely monitored for unexpected side effects and the adequate antagonist dosage. It also gives patients time to be sure they are committed to sobriety, which will make the monthly blockage effects of Vivitrol safer.
If you are thinking about taking Vivitrol, consider the following benefits:
- Vivitrol’s main advantage is that it eliminates or substantially reduces the constant craving for opiates.
- Patients do not need to concern themselves with taking a daily dose of the oral medication, naltrexone, which may make it easier to comply with your treatment plan.
- Vivitrol can help you break your dependence on habit-forming drugs without running the risk of a secondary addiction to drugs like suboxone or Methadone.
Vivitrol Risks and Drawbacks
These are some negative factors to be considered.
- Opioid overdose – The most significant risk of using Vivitrol is an opioid overdose. This can occur in one of two ways:
1) Patients who decide to use again can try to overcome the blocking effects by taking large amounts of their opiate of choice in order to reach a “high.”
2) If they stop their use of Vivitrol, for a period of time, their tolerance to opioids is lower. As a result, even a small amount of opioids used can result in an overdose.
- Liver damage – Your healthcare provider should monitor your liver function while taking Vivitrol. Additionally, be sure to report any stomach pain lasting more than a few days, unusual fatigue or dark urine.
- Reactions at the injection site – Inform your physician if you have swelling, redness, lumps or pain at the injection site.
- Opioid withdrawal- Using any opioid medication while on Vivitrol, including some types of cough syrup, over-the-counter medications or herbal supplements, can cause sudden withdrawal symptoms. The withdrawal can be dangerous and might require immediate medical attention.
- Vivitrol may not be safe for women who are presently pregnant or breastfeeding.
Some Possible Vivitrol Side Effects
Although not everyone experiences side effects, you may experience some of the following symptoms:
- Allergic reactions.
- Nausea, which can subside after the first few days.
- Joint pain.
- Decreased appetite.
- Trouble sleeping.
For more information about opioid treatment options, contact us at the Waismann center and speak confidentially with one of our experts. 1-310-205-0808 or email us at email@example.com
For accurate and most up to date information on Vivitrol uses, benefits and risks, please speak with your healthcare provider; additionally, you can learn more at www.vivitrol.com.