Opioid / Opiate Dependency and Waismann Method Medical Detox
Battling with chronic pain can lead to opioid dependence. That is an increasing need for obtaining a higher dose of opioids (like morphine or heroin). Currently over 4.3 million adults are regular opioid users in United States alone for the management of chronic pain or recreational purposes (1). However, it is fairly encouraging that a lot of people want to get treated and feel well.
If you or your loved ones are looking to get treated for opioid dependence, it is very important to choose a facility after deliberate research. This is because research and statistical data suggests that in the absence of appropriate measures, the chances of relapse are fairly high.
Who are we and what we do?
We are the pioneers of Waismann Method of Rapid Opiate Detox and have been in practice to help opioid dependent individuals for nearly 20 years. Waismann Method involves rapid detoxification of opioid metabolites from the body and control of severe withdrawal symptoms by sedation to minimize psychological and physical discomfort and trauma. After the primary detox, our healthcare providers and experienced professionals assess and reassess patients to address the emotional stress and post- therapy depression to minimize the chances of relapse.
Over the years, the success of our strategies and procedures have benefited thousands of patients, which is why a lot of duplicate detox centers have erupted all over the country, advertising the provision of similar services at much cheaper rates.
But what makes the waismann method of rapid detox different and unique?
Opioid dependence is a complex issue and chronic abuse is associated with changes in the brain biochemistry and receptor pathways. In simple words, treatment of opioid dependence does not stop after the primary treatment. Research report by Symth (2) suggests that after conventional treatments, the risk of relapse is almost 91% in the first 6 months. However, our patients have a minimal rate of relapse because:
1. Highly qualified medical professionals and top notch environment:
Our team of medical professionals includes renowned board certified anesthesiologists, pain specialists and highly experienced and dedicated para- medical staff. Each member of our team have at least over 20 years of experience in dealing with opioid dependent patients and performing rapid detox under sedation.
In addition, we are different and somewhat superior to most similar centers since we conduct all the tests, procedures and post- procedure care in a full service accredited hospital that is fully equipped with specialists and equipment to take care of medical situations that can surface.
2. Use of advanced methods and professional care:
Pre- procedure patient evaluation plays a very important role in determining the success of rehabilitation and detoxification. For example, here’s how we are different from most other detox centers that provide detox treatment at cheaper rates:
– Pre- procedure assessment: We enroll every patient at least a day in advance of the actual procedure. This window is needed to assess the overall health of the patient and in order to prepare them for the procedure in terms of food/ medications and prescription drugs. Always remember that pharmacological detox may be life threatening if attempted in an unprepared patient. Our careful approach and calculated assessment are the reasons of high success rate and excellent patient ratings.
– Pre- medication: Pre- medication is an essential requirement to optimize the detox results.
– Refinement of Procedure: The primitive detox practice involved detoxification under general anesthesia for a period of 4- 6 hours. Naturally the risk of adverse events was also high. Over the year, Dr. Lowenstein and Dr Bernstein refined and redefined the procedure to greatly minimize the risk of adverse events and complications. In most cases, the total duration of procedure is only 60 to 90 minutes. In addition, the procedure is performed under sedation (and not general anesthesia) that significantly reduces the risk of complications.
– Intensive care setting: We are extremely cautious and careful towards the health of our patients and take every measure possible to achieve results without unnecessarily risking the life and health of patient. That’s why, when most centers perform detox in the clinical setting, we perform detox procedure in intensive care unit to address any issue without delay.
Ever wondered why the drug relapse rate is so high?
This is because most detox centers pay less attention to the factors that leads to opioid addiction. At Domus Retreat, we treat the addiction and also make sure to address the concerns and factors that may prevent relapse (like management of anxiety, depression, trauma and counseling for loss of loved- ones and personal crisis).
After the treatment, unlike most bargain rapid detox that discharge patients under the care of friends or family members to a hotel room, we accommodate our patients at our specialized after care, Domus Retreat, where experienced and qualified professionals assist and assess the healing and transition process.
3. Post- procedure care:
Our treatment is not a miracle; it is a well- designed and advanced pharmacological treatment that demands a lot of care and caution. We never advertise that a 90 minute procedure is all that you need for treatment. This is because opioids receptors are present all over the body, in your brain as well as different organs. Removal of the opiates influence can significantly affect the functioning of different organs. Also, every individual reacts and responds differently to loss of opioid influence, especially if you have certain metabolic or medical conditions like hypertension, diabetes, endocrinological issues and gastro intestinal problems.
That’s the reason why we keep the patients under medical supervision after the procedure.
4. Privacy and comfortable setting:
Our program believes in providing complete privacy, luxury and comfort to you during the treatment process. We accommodate no more than 6 patients at a time at Domus Retreat and provide one- on- one service. However, based on the personal preferences, small peer group sessions are also available.
We strongly believe that besides providing you excellent medical care, it is equally important to give you ideal environment with care, dignity, and optimism to maximize the pace of physical and psychological recovery
5. Enhancing psychological and emotional recovery:
We are providing these services for last [Years in business] years and are well aware of the post- procedure challenges and issues. According to the data published in The British Journal of Psychiatry (3) the first 6 weeks are highly crucial in the life of a person who is clean from opioids after detox treatment. The paper also documents that approximately 71% relapses occur during first 6 weeks, which is why we:
– Address psychological as well as emotional issues. Analysis go side by side with the primary treatment
– Identification of the physiological causes and risk factors that may contribute to the relapse and thus counsel accordingly to minimize the chances of relapse.
– Provision of medical treatment to manage post- procedure issues.
– Availability of counseling sessions with renowned health professionals to understand and treat the negative thought process, responsible for self destruction and relapse in patients
– Heated jacuzzi, massage treatments and acupuncture available to enhance emotional and psychological recovery
Our professional and exceptional treatment standards and quality procedures makes us superior to other centers since your health and long – lasting well- being is our priority.
1. Parsells Kelly, J., Cook, S. F., Kaufman, D. W., Anderson, T., Rosenberg, L., & Mitchell, A. A. (2008). Prevalence and characteristics of opioid use in the US adult population. Pain, 138(3), 507-513.